Sunday, December 15, 2013

Grand Opening

Hello, World.

The establishment of this blog feels long overdue. If you know me, you know that I'm a huge sports fanatic. I psychotically follow nearly everything that happens in the sporting world. My television forever stays on ESPN, or on whatever games/matches are on at that particular time. My most visited websites include ESPN, Grantland, my fantasy football and basketball leagues, SB Nation, Football Outsiders, and Basketball Reference, among others. I like to keep myself well-educated when it comes to sports, and I tend to get annoyed by people who talk about sports out of their posteriors.


My sporting allegiances lie with the Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Dodgers, Los Angeles Kings, and San Diego Chargers, but I'm going to avoid making this blog all about those teams. I would like to think that I can talk to anyone about nearly any team or player. For instance, I once talked to a girl about the Houston Texans and Andre Johnson for two hours, even though I have no connection to the team or city whatsoever. I pride myself on my sports knowledge, but I acknowledge the fact that I still have the capacity to learn so much more.

This year, I've been lucky enough to experience so many incredible sporting events. As 2013 comes to a close, I finally have time to look back and reflect on a truly amazing year. I'm going to start this blog off by counting down my personal Top 5 Sports Moments of this past year. The countdown is even accompanied by cool Instagram pictures! I know, it feels good to be spoiled.

(5). The Excellence in Sports Performance Yearly's (ESPYs)


What a weird name for the Oscars of athletics, huh? Oh well, you know ESPN and its branding and marketing and whatnot. I had the privilege of attending this year's ESPYs, an event that I had wanted to go to since I was a little kid. What kind of self-respecting person wouldn't want to dress up in Sunday's best and walk amongst his/her sports heroes? Sounds like my kind of party!

I had never seen so many beautiful and ginormous people in person, and these terms aren't necessarily mutually exclusive (I'm looking at you, Missy Franklin!). So many people were in attendance whom I admired through my television screen, as the lobby and red carpet area were abound with athletes, celebrities, sports anchors, and journalists. I felt as if I were living in my own fantasy world, walking shoulder-to-shoulder with DeMarcus Cousins and John Wall (they're homies!) at one moment, and Cheryl Burke (super gorgeous in person) the next.

What surprised me most about the ESPYs was how starstruck the film and television celebrities seemed when interacting with professional athletes, and vice versa. Sometimes, we don't realize that the athletes and celebrities we admire are real people, too (albeit more flawless and interesting than us normals). It was neat seeing these individuals gushing over each other and wanting their pictures taken together for Instagram and Twitter. Even multi-millionaires geek out over the same things that we do!

The show itself was both entertaining and exciting. Jon Hamm was his usual charming, handsome self, and his barbs at Dwight Howard's cowardice and LeBron James' old-man hairline gave me a good chuckle. None of my personal sports favorites took home any hardware, but it was fun cheering for the winners and booing the Miami Heat regardless. Robin Roberts receiving the Arthur Ashe Courage Award tugged at my heartstrings, as I remember her being one of the first women in sports journalism whom I noticed and admired.

Overall, it was a great experience, and I would love to go again. As a huge sports fan, I was captivated by the atmosphere. Sign me up for any event that I can wear a suit to and chill out with famous, fascinating people.
___________________________

Stay tuned for the rest of my Top 5 coming in the next couple of days! If that doesn't entice you to revisit my blog, I don't know what will. Well, unless I throw in some sort of monetary compensation as incentive. We'll see what happens.

I have no idea what the direction of this blog will be. I'm going to start it off as a sports blog, but I'll allow it to grow organically and evolve. As this blog begins to pick up some steam, any feedback or ideas that you lovely readers have for me would be greatly appreciated and well-received.

Thanks for reading, and welcome to the Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment